CWS

Public School 61 Complex: 101 Years of Progressive Education

Public School 61 opened in September 1913 and closed in 1996, but three public schools continue the legacy of progressive, experiential, community-based education in the building. This is where Little Red Schoolhouse was founded, and this is where poor children could get an education.The three schools operating there today have much in common with the educators and students that previously walked the halls of Public School 61.

Playground Mural

Mural painted by Children's Workshop School in 2010.

image: 

Antonio "Chico" Garcia

Antonio "Chico" Garcia with the mural he painted for Children’s Workshop School.

image: 

Third Floor Mural

Children's Workshop School teachers pose after completing a mural. 2011.

image: 

Eva Schwartz

Eva Schwartz, who worked at Public School 61 starting in 1962 and retired in 1994. She then volunteered at Children’s Workshop School.

image: 
Subscribe to RSS - CWS